Eggplant Rollatini Recipe
• 2 whole eggplants, peeled and sliced lengthwise, about 1/4 inch thick. To keep a consistent thickness, try using a mandolin slicer.
• 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
• 1- to 1 1/2- pound piece of fresh mozzarella shredded
• 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
• 1/2 pound sliced prosciutto or sliced baked ham
• 1 egg white
• 2-3 cups tomato sauce – your call. A good store bought works as well as homemade
Since we are trying to be “healthy”, this recipe calls for baking the eggplant to cook/soften-up. If you want to fry the eggplant, I will give the change-up at the end. There are also variations of this recipe where you can dip the eggplant in an egg-wash and then dip in bread crumbs before frying/baking. Frankly I think it takes away from the very sweet-simple taste of a fresh eggplant. But, as the saying goes…
1. Brush eggplant slices with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast in 400-degree oven for 20 minutes, flipping eggplant halfway through cooking.
2. Make filling: In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of fresh ricotta, 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup of fresh shredded mozzarella, 1 egg white, salt and pepper, and mix well.
3. When eggplant has cooled about 10 minutes, begin the rolling process. On each slice, put about 2 tablespoons of ricotta cheese mixture. Spread it on the eggplant. Next, place a slice of ham/prosciutto on top of the cheese and then roll. Repeat with all eggplant slices.
4. Coat the bottom of a deep baking dish with tomato sauce. Start placing the rolled eggplants at the bottom of the pan. When pan is filled, put some sauce on the top of the eggplant. Sprinkle some more grated cheese on top. Finally, spread the remaining mozzarella on top of each eggplant rollatini.
5. Bake in a 400-degree oven for about 30 minutes. The cheese should be melted and a little bubbling should be going on.
Using Fried Eggplant
1. In a large skillet, fry eggplant slices in olive oil until eggplant is flexible for rolling, about 3 minutes per side.
2. This is step 3 above!! Drain eggplant on paper towel if fried. When eggplant has cooled about 10 minutes, begin the rolling process.
3. This is step 5 above!! Bake in a 400-degree oven for about 20 minutes.
Look at other eggplant recipes https://traderscreek.com/recipes/recipe-index/